Friday, October 10, 2008

"A.S.P.I.R.E." A Study System

"A.S.P.I.R.E." A Study System

Study is nothing else but a possession of the mind
Thomas Hobbes, 1651 English

A:  Approach/attitude/arrange

·         Approach your studies with a positive attitude

·         Arrange your schedule to eliminate distractions

S: Select/survey/study!

·         Select a reasonable chunk of material to study

·         Survey the headings, graphics, pre- and post questions 
to get an overview

·         Study marking any information you don’t understand

P: Put aside/piece together:

·         Put aside your books and notes

·         Piece together what you've studied, either alone, with a study pal or group, and summarize what you understand.

I: Inspect/Investigate/inquire/:

·         Inspect what you did not understand.

·         Investigate alternative sources of information you can refer to:
other text books, websites, experts, tutors, etc.

·         Inquire from support professionals (academic support, librarians, tutors, teachers, experts,) for assistance

R: Reconsider/reflect/relay

·         Reconsider the content:
If I could speak to the author, what questions would I ask or what criticism would I offer?

·         Reflect on the material:
How can I apply this material to what I am interested in?

·         Relay understanding:
How would I make this information interesting and understandable to other students?

E: Evaluate/examine/explore:

·         Evaluate your grades on tests and tasks
look for a pattern

·         Examine your process
toward improving it

·         Explore options
with a teacher, support professional, tutor, etc.

No comments: